ANGLICAN PARISH OF NAMBUCCA HEADS BRIEF HISTORY
In 1900, the Nambucca Valley was part of a Church district stretching from Macksville to Dorrigo to Upper Orara. The Nambucca and Bellinger Districts were separated in 1900. As the population grew, Bowraville, Macksville and Nambucca Heads gradually formed their own parishes. Today, the Parish of Nambucca Heads comprises the Bowraville and Nambucca Heads areas.
St James is the oldest Anglican Church in the Nambucca Valley. It was opened in 1899 and the vestry was added in 1912.
The Church Hall was completed in 1985, using buildings trucked in from Missabotti and Newee Creek and has been a useful resource for the Church and the Community. There was a lot of community involvement in building and fund raising!
The Church has at times heeded Augustus Caesar’s advice, festina lente (hasten slowly) in tackling issues such as moving the hall toilets, whether to have keg and bottled beer in the hall, pew cushions, posters in the Church and removing the curtains at the rear of the sanctuary.
ST JOHN THE BAPTIST NAMBUCCA HEADS
St Johns is the oldest Anglican Church (then the Church of England) in Nambucca and was originally located in Ridge St. Services started there in 1905 and in 1906, the wooden cross from the wreck of the SS Albany was presented to the Church.
By 1958, a bigger meeting place was needed and so, services were moved to the School of Arts. In those days, Good Friday services were so packed that seats were borrowed from the Primary School and Police Station.
In 1960, the congregation moved to the new Church building on the corner of Kent and Short Streets. An interesting feature of Church is in the hand picked stone wall behind the cross on the northern wall of the sanctuary. There is a heart shaped black stone – a reminder to many of the heart of Jesus.
For a more detailed history as written by Jim Llewellyn, click here -